Skip to main content

Final Reflection Unit 6




While I have not completed my assessments for my portfolio yet, I am finding that each type of assessment requires a different kind of thinking while creating them. For example, I find myself examining if I were in a student's shoes for each of my questions, and I also am trying to look through a lens of students who may be at a disadvantage for a certain test (i.e- an English language learner, a student who is hard of hearing, a student with autism, etc.)

Tickets for THE GREY AREA in Alameda from ShowClixThroughout my planning for these assessments, I am finding the selected response to be fairly simple to create. I feel like I am super familiar with this, as I was tested in this format so often growing up and in college. Testing knowledge seems to leave out a lot of the grey area some of the other assessments have. Extended written responses are also seeming somewhat easy for me, as well. I am still working on this one, so I am not too deep into it yet. However, I also feel like I have so much experience with this form of assessment, so that may play a big role for why I am not struggling much with it.

On the other hand, finding 30 questions for the communication assessment has been tough for me to even begin. Spanning questions across the six Bloom's levels has been the trickiest part. Creating a performance assessment has been equally as hard, as there truly feels like there is room for a lot of grey area, which is what I am trying to avoid.

Comments

  1. Emily,
    I also found that the selected response was one of the easiest ones to create once I really dug into the assignments. I also thought that an extended response would be easy to create, but once I really got into it I was having a hard time making is great. I think I may have been a little short on what makes a great extended writing response but I’m sure I will get better. This is all a lot of learning and we will all become better at creating assessments over time and with practice. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand not finishing your portfolio yet. I did not finish mine till after this post. I also was not happy with mine so I kept changing little things to make it more to my liking. I do the same thing with putting myself into the student's shoes. I know they are going to look for ques while taking a selected response test. I also know kids just want to simple version of what is expected because they just want to start. So with the writing response I made the important parts needed for their paragraph BOLD. SO they could clearly see what is expected. For my performance task I had a lot of steps in my procedure but this was also because it was more about the teacher telling what the students to do and what would be expected of them during the task. My rubric mainly focused on what the teacher will see if a students met criteria. I just was always asking myself a million questions and making sure it was student friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fricken Blooms got me too! Very frustrating. But I like that you mentioned students with certain difficulties. I did not even think of that. I think with that sort of thinking, you are going to be a great teacher, me on the other hand.... But everyone is saying selected response was the easiest. Am I the only one who had difficulty with it? There are so many questions that it was difficult not to overlap.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment