Skip to main content

Learning Targets

Deriving a learning target initially seemed like a somewhat easy task, but proved to be much denser once I completed the unpacking assignments. I found choosing a measurable verb that best represented the standard(s) was the toughest decision to make. The measurable verb is very important in order to assess students, so to best reflect the standards, the verbiage must be accurate and selectively chosen.

3 Ways to Draw an Impossible Triangle - wikiHow
The learning target(s) directly connects with assessment, as the assessment will show how well the learning target was executed by the teacher and grasped by the students. It's almost as if those three depend on each other in a triangular way. For example, a learning target needs and standard to exist and an assessment to measure it's worth. A standard needs a learning target to execute the goal and again, an assessment to determine it's value. An assessment would not be possible without first the standard, and then the learning target. If one of these three factors were missing, none of them would function properly.

Comments

  1. Hey Emily! I found that what made it easier for me to come up with a measurable verb was looking at Bloom's Taxonomy pyramid and using that to help me come up with a verb to include in my learning target. I also liked your explanation how learning targets connect with the assessment because it was very clear and easy to understand. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    I love your connection to the standard/target/assessment. I would be hard to have one without the other. It makes me wonder what was going on before standards!

    I think the measurable verb is such an important part of our targets. It allows us to directly relate our target to our assessment and can act as a tool to keep us on track. Because the verb is such an essential part to the whole process, it is intimidating finding the right one to connect them all. While the blooms list is helpful, sometimes too many choices don't make things easier! It seems like a simple task, but when we really get down to it, it's pretty complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you wrote "the verbiage must be accurate and selectively chosen", because when the verbiage has the best most accurate chosen words it is the simplest to understand and it leaves little to no question to the meaning. I also like that you mentioned that it must include verbs that are measurable, because that makes it precisely clear what the students need to be able to do and to what extent. I think that that would surely be the most difficult part to come up with when writing the target, because it is not yet clear to me just how much or how well the students will be achieve what is asked of them. I like your connection that it is made of three components: assessment, standard and learning target. I think that is a good way to think about them. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily. The verbiage is so essential, besides deciphering the different long term goals, I think this would be my most challenging as well. It is so important because one word can change the entire lesson itself. I also learned when messing around with the various verbs, that some verbs are in multiple categories, so it is essential that the context you use it in matches the desired outcome. I love your triangular idea. It is so spot-on, though I would have never thought of it that way. Thank you for your surprising insights, because of this, I will always think of it in this manner. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emily,
    The verb was also the most challenging part for me. I liked how you pointed out that a learning target need a standard and to be measurable to assess students. I think when these are connected it can effective for the students and teacher! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson Planning 5.3 Blog Post

Over the course of the last few weeks, we have all been asked to submit various lesson plans. This started off really tricky and time consuming for me. However, like most things, as time goes on it has become less straining and more smooth. Contrary to probably almost anybody, I actually feel like the left hand column comes sort of naturally to me. I do not struggle very much with filling that area out, especially after I received clarification from Dr. Bedford about it. After taking some ESL courses over the last year, as well, I find the Language Support really simple to me. I was challenged in these classes to alter lessons and material for English language learners and their families, so due to this practice, I can quickly find the areas that may be overly challenging for an ELL. (Ignore the Super ELL part of this graphic. It's an advertisement. The other info is super interesting though!) I am not very confident in my ability to decide which assessments should go wher...

Final Reflection Unit 6

While I have not completed my assessments for my portfolio yet, I am finding that each type of assessment requires a different kind of thinking while creating them. For example, I find myself examining if I were in a student's shoes for each of my questions, and I also am trying to look through a lens of students who may be at a disadvantage for a certain test (i.e- an English language learner, a student who is hard of hearing, a student with autism, etc.) Throughout my planning for these assessments, I am finding the selected response to be fairly simple to create. I feel like I am super familiar with this, as I was tested in this format so often growing up and in college. Testing knowledge seems to leave out a lot of the grey area some of the other assessments have. Extended written responses are also seeming somewhat easy for me, as well. I am still working on this one, so I am not too deep into it yet. However, I also feel like I have so much experience with this form of ...

Reflection on Standards

The Common Core State Standards give me conflicting feelings, although I am gaining more insight as I move through school. Just today I had a conversation with a coworker who used to be a teacher here in Cheney. She brought forth the concern that class has become overly scripted, which I believe is a valid concern. While she has moved away from teaching and into occupational recreation, I still value her ideas, as she has a few years of experience. Over the last year, I have moved away from feeling harshly about the standards, as I see value in all students getting the same kind of instruction. For example, if a student has a parent in the military, he or she does not have to worry about being behind or lost in school after another move. I also see the reliability of the standards, as they push teachers to all teach the same topics and move together as a unit. This ensures that a student is not unprepared or on a completely different path than another student when entering middle schoo...